The Town of Rye requests the submission of proposals from qualified individuals to be retained as the Town’s Assessor. Located in the hills of Southeastern Westchester and the shore of the Long Island Sound, the Town of Rye is comprised of the Villages of Port Chester and Rye Brook, and the Rye Neck portion of the Village of Mamaroneck. It contains three school districts. Town services include operation of a Justice Court, Town Clerk, Receiver of Taxes, the Assessment Department and two parks. The Town is responsible for the assessment of 11,268 commercial and residential parcels, the collection of taxes totaling $200+ million annually. Total assessed value of the roll is $10,044,293,026. Approximately 49,000 people reside in the Town of Rye.
- Strong administrative, communications and record keeping skills; Possess excellent people skills and phone presence. This position involves considerable public contact; Spanish a plus;
- NYS IAO certification, or equivalent training and a minimum of 5 years’ experience strongly recommended;
- Hands-on field experience in the real estate assessment area;
- Detailed working knowledge of RPTL Article-19, two-tier tax class valuation & tax rate processing preferred;
- Have a basic understanding of PILOT and IDA procedures;
- Fluent in RPS;
- Must be able to assist the Town Attorney with regard to tax certiorari proceedings;
- Must have office hours a minimum of 35 hours a week;
- Attend Town / Village / School Board meetings as needed;
- Prepare tentative, final assessment roll on a timely basis;
- Assist in determining tax information and assessed values related to future Development;
- Interact with other Town department heads as needed and attend weekly senior staff meetings
Questions: Town Administrator Debbie Reisner (914)939-3553
Starting Salary for the position is $110,000 to $150,000 DOQ.
Submit résumé, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references by March 1, 2023 online to Debbie Reisner – DReisner@TownofRyeNY.com with “Assessor Qualifications & Application” in the reference line.
The Town retains the right to reject any and all proposals or to Appoint an assessor whose qualifications are deemed to be most advantageous to the Town.
The Town of Rye is an Equal Opportunity Employer.