Job Title: Senior Lifeguard
Reports to: Lifeguard Captain
Salary rate: Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications
As assigned,the Senior Lifeguard performs as a Staff Waterfront Lifeguard who will also be called upon to supervise seasonal lifeguard personnel in the performance of all waterfront safety responsibilities including rescue, first aid and general emergency response activities all while serving as a positive example and role model and mentor to the waterfront staff overall.
The Senior Lifeguard is viewed as a front-line supervisor who possesses a thorough knowledge of waterfront policies and safety practices and can comfortably interact with a diverse general public and waterfront staff. In this position you will be asked to demonstrate principles and best practices of staff supervision as well as professional and personal development. This position may be called upon to perform the duties of a seasoned waterfront lifeguard, as well as, perform as a leader and a mentor, participate in conflict resolution, performance evaluation and employee discipline as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES MAY INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Patrol beach during operating hours; act as captain during Captain's and Lieutenant's absence;
- Respond quickly to emergency situations, perform open water and underwater rescues traveling to bathers in danger by means of swimming, rescue boat, rescue board, etc. and follows rescue procedures;
- Direct and supervise aspects of daily waterfront operations, as needed;
- Assist in creating, coordinating and maintaining daily and weekly work schedules as well as preparing safety, training and incident reports;
- Supervise lifeguard work performance, compliance with beach rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Assist with training, coaching, instructing and mentoring waterfront staff members;
- Assist in recruiting and on-boarding seasonal staff;
- Responds to emergency incidents and perform open water rescues as necessary;
- When assigned, assumes leadership role as the Senior Lifeguard to oversee emergency operations and make critical decisions regarding the preservation of life and property.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Thorough knowledge of principles of water safety; good knowledge of first aid and CPR as professional rescuer; strong swimming skills; ability to meet and deal with the public effectively; ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions;good judgment; initiative; courtesy; resourcefulness; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Work is performed in a beach and waterfront environment which may involve prolonged exposure to wind, water, sun, adverse weather conditions, hazardous materials and communicable diseases.
Must maintain a level of physical fitness, endurance and ability required for: swimming,paddling, running, walking, standing or sitting for extended periods of time.
Education: High School graduate or equivalency. Completion of coursework towards advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum three (3) years Waterfront Lifeguard Experience - Supervisory experience preferred but not required;
- Must hold and maintain current American Red Cross Life-guarding and Waterfront certifications (which include CPR for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid);
- American Red Cross Responding to Emergencies Course Certification required;
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent communication skills (verbal and written) with subordinates, peers and senior management (Spanish conversation skills a plus);
- In addition, candidates must pass a practical test administered by the Rye Town Park Captain and Lieutenant.