Job Title: Park Director
Reports to: Secretary to the Commission
Salary rate: Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications
Please Email your Resume and Cover Letter to Debbie Reisner at DReisner@TownofRyeNY.com / Phone: (914) 939-3075 ext. 101
The Rye Town Park Commission (RTPC) seeks a dynamic leader with outstanding credentials in park and waterfront management, who has the demonstrated ability to manage a busy public facility and a team of 80 seasonal employees. The Park Director will be a person with vision who is passionate about parks, people, community, and the environment.
Rye Town Park is located on 62 acres of rolling parkland on the shores of Long Island Sound in Rye, NY. As one of the first parks ever founded in the United States, it is listed on the National and New York State Registers of Historic Places.
The job ramps up to full-time “in season” (April 1 - October 30) and transitions back to part-time (10 - 16 flexible hours per week) in the “off-season” (November 1 - March 31). In general, the Park Director is responsible for ensuring the smooth operation of all aspects of the park. The role entails managing the startup, day-to-day and closing down of operations.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The Park Director is responsible for:
• Working with Department Heads (Maintenance, Cashiers, Parking, Security and Lifeguards) to manage staff recruitment, training and retention;
• Coordinating work schedules;
• Monitoring the collection of parking and beach admission fees; the issuance of season permits;
• Managing the rental of the park’s picnic areas for parties and special events;
• Collaborating with the Assistant Park Director for Development to plan community programming;
• Submitting a monthly management report with recommendations to the Rye Town Park Commission;
• Attending monthly Commission meetings (6:00 PM on the 3rd Tuesday of every month);
• Making purchasing recommendations and submits vouchers to Purchasing Department
• Assisting in the preparation of the annual budget
• Managing operations of the park in line with that budget.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND ATTRIBUTES:
Must have strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills. Prior management experience with a seasonal business operation with six- or seven-figure budget and 50+ employees is required. Experience working for a municipal government, managing to a budget and sound cash management procedures are all pluses.
Good knowledge of the practices and equipment associated with parks and beach operations; familiarity with public beach regulations and operation; ability to plan, lay out, and supervise the work of others; ability to deal with staff and the public tactfully and effectively; ability to prepare accurate and concise written reports; demonstrated record of initiative; good judgment; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position. Good customer service skills and experience.
EDUCATION AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
Minimum acceptable training and experience: Either (a) graduation from a recognized college or university with a Bachelor's Degree and two (2) years of experience in the supervision and maintenance of parks or other types of recreation areas; or (b) graduation from a standard high school course and six (6) years of experience as stated in (a); or (c) a satisfactory equivalent combination of the foregoing training and experience. Certified Parks & Recreation Professional (CPRP) preferred.
Exempt. Job Class Code: 0272